Summer Student Program
For students majoring in computational science, computer science, mathematics and related science and engineering fields, Berkeley Lab Computing Sciences hosts a 12-week research summer program that provides students with the opportunity to gain research experience. Participants will work on projects in computational research, high performance computing, high speed networking or a collaboration of each, under the guidance of one or more staff members. Berkeley Lab, located in Berkeley, CA is a world leader in computing, biological, physical, materials, chemical, and energy sciences research. In summers past, students at Berkeley Lab have worked in such project areas as the following:
- Secure peer-to-peer information sharing
- Analysis and solution of network and system-related software problems
- Web-based clients for remote visualization
- Numerical algorithms for nanoscience
- Parallel scientific code templates
- System administration and programming graphical user interface for generating authorization policy for an information sharing system
- Scientific computing tools
Projects are designed so that students will complete a major portion of the work during the 10-12-week period. This program is geared toward students between their junior and senior years who have completed core courses in Computer Science, Mathematics, and related areas of study or graduate students in any computer and computational science discipline. The exact starting date is at the mutual convenience of the students and the needs of the program.
Due to the high level of interest in our program, applications are accepted only through an online process. Click here to apply for 2016 Summer program.
Complete an online profile, and please provide the following information:
- Your skills and relevant experience
- Your interest in the program
- Educational information
- References (name, contact information, relationship to you)
You will be contacted only if you are being considered for selection for this program. We hope to hear from you soon!
NOTE: You may choose to apply to specific projects in which you're interested. This is not required to apply for the program.